Comparison between Weighted Blankets and Comforters & Duvets
Weighted blankets have quickly become the must-have accessory this season — and for good reason. Not only can they create a secure-feeling environment, but it has proven therapeutic effects, such as helping to relieve anxiety and insomnia. However the price of weighted blankets can be more expensive than comforters & duvets, it would be wise to know the difference between weighted blankets and comforters & duvets before you purchase a weighted blanket.
What are comforters & duvets?
A comforter is a kind of bedding with fabric sewn together and filled with another material to make it soft and comfortable. The fabric used could be cotton, bamboo, wool, or silk or any other insulating material. The filler material used in comforters are feathers, silk, fur or wool. The primary use of a comforter is to provide warmth for a user.
Duvets are a little different from comforters. They are constructed by covering a bag containing the filler material, which just like with comforters could be feathers, fur or wool with a duvet cover. A duvet cover is to a duvet what a pillowcase is to a pillow. Duvets covers may be made of the same fabric as the duvet itself, and they can easily be removed and laundered like you would a bedspread.
What are weighted blankets?
Weighted blankets are just like your regular sleeping blankets, but much heavier. Weighted blankets weigh anywhere from 5-30 lbs. Weighted blankets are constructed by embedding small weighted solids such as glass beads and plastic pellets into a blanket made of a range of fabric such as Mink, Silk, Cotton, Polyester etc.
Extensive research has revealed additional benefits of weighted blankets for Fibromyalgia, Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), Asperger’s syndrome, depression, anxiety, Insomnia, and a host of other medical conditions. A weighted blanket does this by stimulating the deep touch pressure zones of your body, forcing it to relax.
Pros and Cons of using comforters and duvets
● Comforters and duvets are primarily used as insulators to keep you warm when you’re cold. They do this really well. There is something called the TOG rating, which stands for Thermal Overall Grade. It tells you what the level of insulation the blanket provides. This is a good thing because you can easily change between different comforters and duvets based on their TOG rating.
● Relatively cheap.Comforters and duvets of high quality are available in a wide range of prices. This means that these products can be reliably purchased by buyers with different budget sizes.
● Hard to clean.The major cons of comforters have to do with the ease of care of the product. The comforters not easy to wash in a home washing machine and sometimes have to be taken to laundromats or dry cleaners with the necessary bigger equipment. This problem, however, is solved in the duvet. Duvets can easily be used with a duvet cover with or without a top sheet since the cover can be removed and laundered separately.
Pros and cons of using a weighted blanket
● Improves sleep.Weighted blankets are quite useful. While they can act like normal blankets, they are way more than that. As we have earlier seen, they have been seen to improve sleep in insomniacs, reduce the pain in fibromyalgia, and relieve anxiety in anxiety disorders and so much more.
● Alternative to drug-based treatments. The benefits and uses of weighted blankets are backed by extensive research published in peer-reviewed scientific publications. It’s actually considered a medical device by some specialists. Nowadays, weighted blankets are recommended by physical therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists and even doctors.
● Pricey. The major cons of weighted blankets is its price which is much higher comparing to comforters & duvets. It would always a good idea to try to DIY a weighted blanket for yourself or the people you love.
The main difference between comforters/duvets and a weighted blanket is their purpose. While weighted blankets can be used for medical purposes, comforters simply provide comfort to the user. Weighted blankets are great for people who suffer from medical conditions while comforters and duvets are more appropriate for general use. If you neither have problems sleeping nor any special needs and you have a limited budget, a comforter or duvet might be the thing for you.
YnM Weighted blanket provides high quality and most budget-friendly weighted blankets on Amazon. As one of the best sellers, YnM got 4.4 out of 5 stars and over 3000 customer reviews on Amazon, this weighted blanket has helped plenty of people get better sleep. Several customers said the difference was night and day, and they went from difficulty falling and staying asleep to being able to get to sleep quickly and stay asleep through the night.
YnM weighted blanket advise that you purchase weighted blankets that are at least 10% your body weight and large enough to swaddle you in a sitting or prone position. Now it is time to get a YnM weighted blanket on their Amazon store, make a difference in your health and the health of others from today.