The Best Weighted Blankets For Anxiety and Insomnia: YnM
As you might know, weighted blankets are a hot commodity nowadays which is lot less expensive than therapy and can have similar comforting effects. They’ve exploded in popularity over the last few years after being peppered into holiday gift guides, blog posts and Instagram influencers’ feeds. Glowing online reviews tout weighted blankets as a solution to insomnia, anxiety, fibromyalgia and more. Late last year, weighted blankets were chosen as one of the best inventions of 2018 by Time magazine, named “blankets that ease anxiety”.
But how exactly do they work and are you likely to benefit? In this article, you can find the origin of the weighted blankets, the science behind the weighted blankets, the material used in the weighted blankets and the best weighted blanket we recommend. This will help you get the whole picture of the weighted blankets and choose the best budget-friendly weighted blankets.
The Origin of the Weighted Blankets
An early precursor to the weighted blanket can be traced to Temple Grandin.
She graduated from university and to this day, she is a prominent author and world-renowned autism spokesperson.
During her years in university in the 1960s, while she was looking into ways to treat her own anxiety, she discovered the benefits of pressure as a way to calm her overstimulated nervous system. She created a squeeze machine for herself, which gave her relief due to the deep pressure stimulation. Over the years, researchers and clinicians have adapted the idea into weighted blankets.
The Science of the Weighted Blankets
The underlying science on weighted blankets is called Deep Pressure Touch Stimulation(DPTS). DTPS is about gently applying pressure to the body to increase the release of serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical in the body that promotes relaxation.
The deep pressure from a weighted blanket forces the body to relax by a process known as ‘grounding.’ The experience of using a weighted blanket is similar to getting a ‘tight’ hug from a loved one.
A great deal of scientific research shows that weighted blankets can provide a sense of calm for a wide range of individuals, including those with some of these disorders:
- SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- And many other sleep disorders
In general, using a weighted blanket is a natural way to cure the sleep disorders in both children and adults. The standard industry formula for weighted blankets is 10% of body weight.
The Material Used in the Weighted Blankets
- Cotton – Cotton is durable, machine washable, and reasonably soft (depending on the quality.) The main problem with cotton is that it is prone to shrinking and dyes tend to fade.
- Polyester – Polyester, on the other hand, is machine washable very durable, doesn’t fade or shrink, however, it tends to not be as soft and doesn’t quite breathe as well.
- Minky – Minky is an all-natural blended fabric that essentially takes the durability of polyester but uses a short pile that makes it similar in softness to cashmere. The fabric tends to resemble “mink,” hence the name, but it’s cruelty-free and far more durable.
- 100% natural bamboo viscose. That is a new technology fabric developed by YnM and used in their best selling YnM Cooling Weighted Blankets. The 300 thread count of bamboo viscose absorbs body heat and wicks away moisture, feels cool to the touch, but not cold enough to be uncomfortable to sleep under. This blanket is perfect for hot sleepers who tend to sweat a lot under minky and cotton fabrics.
- Rice and other Grains – While they are inexpensive there really is no good justification for using these as they are organic and thus provide a good place to grow mold and attract insects and may also induce allergic reactions in some people.
- Poly Pellets – Poly Pellets do a decent job distributing heat, do not absorb much moisture, and offer reasonable weight distribution. Also, the rounded shape is good for maintaining the integrity of your inner layer.
- Glass Beads – Glass beads provides the smoothest weight distribution as the weight of each individual bead is nearly identical and they don’t bunch up. They also don’t absorb any moisture or excess heat. Plus they are perfectly rounded and won’t damage the fabric at all. Of course, that is the most expensive fillings materials.
3. Hand-Made and Machine-Made.
Machine stitching and automated filling would, in theory, lead to a uniform and consistent product. However, for blankets, the opposite appears to be true. Blankets made via automation tend to have substantially more quality control issues and overlooked design errors.
Handmade blankets tend to have higher quality control and superior stitching. That said this can also vary based on the “talent” of the individual people making the blankets. So don’t take the fact that it’s “handmade” to mean it’s high quality, rather look over existing reviews regarding the product quality.
Half Machine Half Hand Made. In 2016, YnM developed a new revolutionary making technology, adapting half machine and half-handmade mode in the making process of their weighted blankets. The blankets made by this new technology have superior stitching and very few quality control issues.
Besides, YnM Weighted Blankets filled with non-toxic premium “quiet glass beads”, have many small quilted pockets for keeping its glass beads evenly dispersed. So the blankets are definitely quiet, make no any noise when you tossing and turning at night. It says “quiet glass beads”. Yes, it is. Also the blankets filled with evenly distributed glass beads feels very smooth and better keep the temperature.
The Best Weighted Blanket We Recommend
As mentioned above, we strongly recommend YnM Weighted Blanket. As one of the best sellers on Amazon, YnM got 4.4 out of 5 stars and over 3000 customer reviews, known for its high quality, best budget-friendly price. Also YnM Weighted Blankets come in a variety of colors,designs and different sizes, the potential customers can always find a right one to fit their needs.In addition, the weighted blankets sold by YnM combined with 3-year-long customer service.
If you just struggle to calm down and fall asleep at night, a YnM Weighted Blanket will be a game changer for your house!